Day 7 of Creation: God Rested

If there is ever a wonderful excuse for making (or rather, encouraging) your child nap, it’s that God himself had to rest after creating the entire world!

Interestingly, the seventh day of creation is not included in the account of creation in Genesis 1, it’s found at the beginning of Genesis 2.

“By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.  Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.”  -Genesis 2: 2

Today is short and sweet…here’s the final verse of our song.

A little nap sounds like a pretty good idea, come to think of it!  :)

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Just sharing an idea. We did a study similar to this at our house last year. On the 7th day, we made a pillow out of fleece. The kind where you just tie the pieces together. Big sister had fun stuffing it while we talked about how God didn't need to rest (because He's God), but He rested as an example to us. My girls now fight over it, so I think we're going to have do this again so little sister can have her very own.

2. Gra says

Thank you for this website. I love the song. I will use it in my teaching.
    I just made two small changes to it.
    Day 1, Day 1 – God made light to be so bright.
    and
    Day 6, Day 6 – God add animals and men to mix

• says

If I am to take the Bible literally (which I do), I would say that dinosaurs (like all “living creatures that move along the ground”) were made on day 6…the same day as humans. However, I think it is important to note that we don’t know how long a “day” on God’s calendar is. I am pretty certain that it is not 24-hours as we consider a day to be now. The God I serve is one full of mystery and wonder and I know there are many questions that I will not be able to answer this side of Heaven. I certainly don’t have all the answers! But if everything matched up perfectly and was neatly laid out in front of us, it wouldn’t really require us to have FAITH.

“Faith does not rest on men’s wisdom but on God’s power.” 1 Corinthians 2:5

“Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Hebrews 11:1

There are a lot of things in this life that I’m not sure about, but I am CERTAIN that the God I serve (who I cannot see) created this amazing world of ours and is most worthy of my praise and adoration.

• Renee says

If you look at creation the word for “day” is a literal 24 hour period of time. It is amazing to think about all that God created in 6 literal days but He did it. If it was eons of time in between the days the grass, flowers, and trees would not have had light from the sun, which they need, for millions of years they would not have survived. Also this is included in every day in Genesis 1: “And there was evening and there was morning”. Taking a look at Numbers 7 the same word for “day” is used. There would not have been many years between the sacrifices that were being offered. Also have a look at Exodus 20:8-11 “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.”

3. Tracey Williams says

Am just about to embark on an activity programme in our “Baby House” in Mozambique – the 18mth to 3 year olds! Love the “Creation” theme as a starter – will let you know how it goes!

4. Cheryl says

Love all your ideas. The way I explain God’s resting on Day 7 is firstly that God never gets tired and doesn’t need to rest (just as you explained). But secondly the “resting” means that God’s work of creation was complete, therefore He stopped His work on Day 7. This teaches another meaning for the word “rest”. It can also mean stopping or finishing something! For children who are a little older it might help to point out that this day of resting was also a pattern for the Sabbath Day! Isn’t it neat how God thought through EVERYTHING before He even began creating the world?

5. Jessica says

Hi! I just found your blog via Pinterest and I’m doing this lesson with my son (I LOVE your blog, btw!!) but the video on this one is not showing up! Would you mind telling me the last verse of the song please? Thanks a bunch!

6. Angela says

Thank you for your beautiful ideas! I’m so excited to teach my Year 1 class the lovely little song. I’ve made the tricky Day 6 say ‘Day 6, day 6, God made animals and man in a click’ but I notice that someone else commented ‘Day 6, day 6, God adds animals and man to the mix’ which is really cute and rhymes properly!!

7. celeste says

I love your 7 days of creation song. Any way you can send me the whole thing?? or is it posted somewhere?? Thanks so much. I am teaching creation to first grade girls in the fall and this is just what I was looking for.

8. Mrs.Rhyne says

I am working at a preschool and found you while looking up ways to introduce creation to our upcoming class. I made some alterations and will introduce your song to my fellow staff members tomorrow. I hope you are okay with my changes I wanted the syllables to match and it to be one small song before I shared it. I am also giving all my co-workers this website as a reference and something to return to for future inspiration. Thank you for what you do and how well you do it.
    ~Sarah Rhyne, California
    Day1 day1 God made light when there was none.
    Day2 day2 God made clouds with sky so blue.
    Day3 day3 God made flowers, plants and trees.
    Day4 day4 God made sun, moon, stars galore.
    Day5 day5 God made birds and fish alive.
    Day6 day6 God made man and beast top picks.
    Day7 day7 God then rested in his heaven.
    Today today we all bow our heads and pray.