As a child, I used to look forward to getting Red Hot Applesauce for Christmas every year from a dear family friend of ours. It is a delicious treat and quite possibly the best applesauce I’ve ever had (thanks to the Red Hot candies in it).
I came up with my own recipe for making it. It’s super easy and very yummy!
Here’s what you’ll need: 6-7 apples, 1/2 cup Red Hot candies, and 1/4 cup apple juice or water, potato peeler, apple corer, knife, and 3 quart pot.
1. Peel, core, and cut the apples. Obviously, this part should be done by an adult only.
2. Put in a pot with 1/4 cup apple juice or water. Then add the Red Hots.
3. Stir and cook covered on low heat for 1 hour.
(Be sure and save the seeds…we’ll be using them later on)
4. Blend for a few seconds to get desired texture.
5. Enjoy! Don’t mind the bed head…he just woke up from his nap. :)
You can put them in small baby food jars and add a green pipe cleaner for the apple leaf. This makes for a really fun snack!