I was inspired by my favorite Valentine’s Day candy to make this Valentine’s Day playdough! This Red Hots Playdough is made with actual Red Hots and has a sweet and cinnamon-y scent to it! You have to work quickly after melting the red hots (and might have to add some extra food coloring), but it is definitely worth the extra effort!
This playdough is super fun for Valentine’s Day. Little Sister has been a huge fan of playdough lately and this recipe was definitely a big hit!
Recipe for Red Hots Playdough:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons Cream of Tartar
2 1/2 cups water
5 tablespoons oil
1-2 cups Red Hots Candies
Extra red food coloring
1. Melt 1-2 cups of red hots in a small saucepan.
2. Mix the dry ingredients in another saucepan: 2 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/4 cups salt, and 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cream of Tartar.
3. Put the saucepan over medium heat and add the liquid ingredients: 2 1/2 cups of water and 5 tablespoons oil.
4. Very slowly pour the melted red hots into the mixture. Stir continuously while pouring (I didn’t do this…and ended up with large chunks of red hot that I had to remove). I ended up adding some extra food coloring.
5. Continue stirring over medium heat until the playdough thickens and then congregates in the middle of the pan.
6. Dump the warm playdough onto waxed paper and cover. Use oven mitts to knead the playdough between the waxed paper until it has cooled down enough to use your bare hands.