This Wipeable and Reusable Learning Mat is an excellent way to add kinesthetic learning to just about any subject matter! Whether it is letters, equations, sight words, or even books of the Bible, this mat can be easily adjusted to fit your child’s needs.
This post has been sitting in my drafts folder since last year! For some unknown reason I am just now getting around to posting it, although the mat itself was donated months ago to our church as a kinesthetic way to tell what books of the Bible come before or after a given book.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Clear Shower Curtain Liner
Various Colors of Craft Foam
1. Cut the pieces of craft foam into smaller shapes (squares, rectangles, or even circles). Our rectangles were probably 5 inches by 4 inches.
2. Use the packing tape to secure the craft foam onto the clear shower curtain liner.
3. Continue adding various colors of shapes onto the entire shower curtain liner.
4. Flip the shower curtain liner over.
5. Use a dry erase marker to write the subject matter (letters, numbers, sight words, etc) on top of the colored shapes.
6. Grab a beanbag. I couldn’t find ours, so I just put some chickpeas in a sandwich-size baggie and duct-taped the top of it.
7. Lay the mat flat- either outside or somewhere where there is enough space.
8. Toss the beanbag onto the mat and have your child call out the letter/number, etc.
Change out the content by using a wet paper towel.