He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands: Coffee Filter “Stained Glass” Earth

With Earth Day just around the corner, I thought the boys would enjoy making a “stained glass” earth out of coffee filters (just as we have done with Bob & Larry, butterflies, and pumpkins!

As we were making these, I thought it would be a great opportunity to reaffirm to the boys how God created the Earth and everything in it.  It also made me think of the old Bible school song, “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands.”  My original plan was to just create the “stained glass” Earth, but I thought some handprints holding it would also be cute!

Here’s what you’ll need:  white coffee filters, green & blue markers, contact paper or a laminator, a spray bottle with water, black construction paper, scissors, and clear tape to secure it to your window.

1.  Lay one coffee filter onto a wipeable surface and let your child begin using their markers to color it.  Encourage your child to fill in as much as he/she can with the marker as the colors will be darker and more vibrant with the more color you put on there.

Big Brother working hard!

Little Brother was finished after about 2 minutes, so I finished his for him.

Here is Big Brother with his ‘Earth’!

2. Use a water bottle to spray each coffee filter very lightly until each part is just slightly wet.

4.  Let dry.  It will probably take 1-2 hours to dry completely.

5.  In the meantime, trace your child’s hand (and part of his/her arm) on a piece of black construction paper.

6.  When the coffee filter is dry, laminate both it and the handprints.  If you don’t have a laminator, sandwich each between 2 pieces of clear contact paper.

7.  Use clear masking tape (doubled over) to secure either just the Earth or the Earth and the hands to your window!

He really does have the whole world in his hands!

Literature Link:

He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands by Kadir Nelson

Comments

Oh Jenae, definitely making this with my kiddos! It’s beautiful!! And I love how you tied it in with He’s Got the Whole World!!

Great project. I used to make coffee filter fish with my kids, but that was a long time ago. Wish I had a little person around here to make this Earth with.

We tried it – not very successfully, thought. The coffee filter we bought was “unbleached”, hence brown. So we used kitchen towels. Laminating went well, but not cutting – our Earth fell apart, OMG :-( It was still a fun project. Thanks for the idea!

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is valuable and everything. Nevertheless
    think of if you added some great images or videos to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this website could undeniably be one of the greatest in its field. Wonderful blog!

5. Kaidi says

We tried it today and it came out beautifully. My toddler loves markers, so it was doubly fun for her :) And even though she didn’t color from end to end, spraying the water made it all look as if she had meant it to be that way :). I laminated the earth and two hands together in one pouch and cut a hole on top and hung on the window.

6. R Hardy says

My children are too old for this but I have just pinned this to my Pinterest for possible use in church toddler groups. Some lovely ideas here!