These cookies are simply amazing. I got the recipe several years ago from my husband’s aunt, who brought them to all the family functions. They were always a huge hit! They do require a little bit of effort, but they are oh-so-worth it!
Below is the recipe. Or you download the printable recipe.
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 t. baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup softened butter/margarine (2 sticks)
2 t. vanilla
1 c. pecans
48 rolos (9 oz. package)
1. Mix flour, cocoa, and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
2. Soften the butter in the microwave (or bring it to room temperature by leaving it on the counter for an hour or two).
3. Combine the butter (I softened it a little too much, the sugar, and the brown sugar. Beat until fluffy. Then add the eggs and vanilla and beat again.
4. Add the dry ingredients.
5. Meanwhile, use your food processor (I have a Ninja and love it) and finely job the cup of pecans. Add 1/2 of the pecans (1/2 cup) into the cookie batter. Stir.
6. Combine 1/4 cup of sugar and the remaining pecans in a bowl.
7. Unwrap the rolos from their foil, if necessary. Using a cookie scooper, scoop out the cookie dough and place the rolo in the center. Pat the dough over the top so that the rolo is fully encased in the cookie dough.
8. Roll each ball in the sugar and pecan mixture.
9. Place on a cookie sheet…
…and bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes.
Inside, the rolo has melted into chocolatey, caramely deliciousness.
Run! Go get the ingredients you need for these heavenly gifts. And you might want to pick up some pants in the next size, while you’re at it. :)
We made these with devil’s food cake – you know, cake cookies, and put the rolos in it. It rocked our world’s to discover we could put candy in cookies! Who knew? And why didn’t we know sooner! Since I don’t have cake mix now, I’ll be trying this recipe – thanks!
My sister-in-law makes these every year, but instead of the nut mixture, she tops them with crumbled Heath bar. Yum!
Thanks!! Sounds delicious! We’ll be trying it!!!
i make these but i dress them up a little bit more and drizzle melted white bark on them. so amazing!
I have a way simpler version of these (probably not quite as heavenly, but they are the best cookies I’ve had). 1 box of chocolate cake mix, 1/3 cup oil, 2 eggs- mix to make the dough. Then put a rolo in each dough ball, place on cookie sheet and cook at 350 for 8-10 minutes. For extra chocolaty goodness you can melt a little chocolate bar/piece on each cookie the last 30 seconds of cooking and then spread around (I don’t do that because it’s more work)
We (my 18-month son & I) made these last night: A-mazing! My cookie scoop is a little bigger, I think, so it took more like 15min @ 350degrees to bake. I didn’t think they were really that difficult to make and they look great – perfect for gift-giving or bringing to the office after being gone for two days of sick leave :)
Awesome! I am going back to see my parents on the 24th so I am sending this recipe to my mother as she is always up for new foods to cook for the night of the 24!