These adorable cookies would make an excellent Mother’s Day gift, Teacher Appreciation Gift, or even just a little something to let someone know you are thinking of them! And did I mention that the cookies are DELICIOUS?
Here’s what you’ll need: ingredients for cookies (listed below), Saran wrap, tape, glass baby food jar, orange construction/scrapbook paper, craft sticks, yellow ribbon, and a hot glue gun.
Recipe for “Sunshine” Cookies:
1 box lemon cake mix
1 container Cool Whip
1 tsp. almond extract (optional, my secret ingredient)
Powdered sugar for rolling (approx. 1/2 cup)
1. Dump all of the ingredients into a bowl (except the powdered sugar).
My “secret” ingredient…1/2 tsp. almond extract
2. Mix together.
The dough will be extremely thick and sticky!
3. Form the dough into balls and roll in powdered sugar.
4. Place on cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Don’t they look delicious???
6. On an orange piece of paper, use a cup to represent the approximate size of the cookie and make a sunburst around it.
7. Make one for each cookie and then cut out.
8. Lay the cookie upside-down on a piece of Saran wrap.
9. Pull tight and tape.
10. Attach the wrapped cookie onto the sunburst using a hot glue gun.
11. Then use the hot glue gun to attach a craft stick to the back (mine were pre-painted yellow…leftover from a Christmas project).
I didn’t have any yellow “stuffing” so I just stuck a bowl inside my shredder and shredded a couple pieces of yellow construction paper.
12. Place the cookie stick inside a baby food jar and fill with yellow stuffing. Tie a ribbon around and add a tag that reads “You are my sunshine!”
We also made a few with tags that read, “Bringing you a little sunshine!” for an activity next week.
PS- I didn’t have Big Brother help me with these cookies since he’s been sick. Normally, he is my trusty right-hand man when it comes to making cookies. :)