I first found this recipe in the latest issue of Martha Stewart Living. We were really excited to try these fruit chewy roll-ups…especially since we found a 2lb. carton of strawberries super-cheap at Sam’s!
Here’s the recipe:
2 lbs. of fruit (or 4 cups…we used strawberries only, but you could use any type of fruit)
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Wash the fruit and remove the hull.
2. Put all the ingredients (fruit, lemon juice, and sugar) into a blender/food processor and puree. We use the Ninja and I adore it.
It should be pretty liquified after pureeing.
3. Pour the mixture into a pot and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes (until thickened).
By the end of the 30 minutes, the mixture will be pretty frothy at the top.
4. Put parchment paper in the bottom of a large pan (I used a jelly-roll size), making sure there is a lip to contain the liquid. The instructions from the magazine said to use a sieve to strain the liquid, but we skipped this part as the mixture was too thick to go through my sieve.
5. Pour the mixture in the pan and bake at 180 degrees until the mixture is still slightly tacky to the touch, but you don’t get a glob on your finger when you touch it. Great directions, I know…but the original instructions said for 3 hours and ours took more like 5 hours.
All done! You might have to discard some of the edges if they have gotten too hard.
6. Cut the roll-ups into strips (I used a pizza roller).
7. Lay on top of a small piece of parchment paper…
… and roll up.
Twist the edges and they’re ready to go!
These yummy snacks took some time to make…but I’d definitely make them again as they turned out to be DELICIOUS. The irony of it all, though, is that the boys didn’t even eat them. Well, Little Brother tried and choked on one (at which it was promptly removed from his mouth). Don’t give them to your toddler…they are extremely chewy and too hard for little ones to eat. Big Brother refused to eat them for no reason whatsoever. He’ll eat the pre-packaged ones like there’s no tomorrow but won’t take a single bite out of the ones his Mama slaved to make for him. *Sigh*. But Prince Charming LOVED them and I enjoyed a few myself as well! :)