I started off this little science experiment asking Big Brother, “What do you think puts out a fire?”
I then used a candle in a glass jar with a lid for the following activity. PLEASE use EXTREME caution if you try this…and I only suggest it for children 4 or older!!! Keep your child far back away from the flame.
I first asked Big Brother to breathe in deeply. Then I asked what he breathed in. We talked about how air is all around us, even though we can’t see it. It makes it possible for us to breathe. I then told him that fire needs air to “live” too.
Then I lit the candle…
..and then put the lid on. We watched what happened.
Next, I lit the candle again and then gave him a small medicine cup full of water for him to pour on top.
Just wait for the wick to dry out before using the candle again!
This was a fun “experiment” to safely learn a little bit more about fire!