French Toast Casserole

I am probably the most UN-MORNING person in the entire world.  Seriously.  I am pretty much a Zombie until 9, at the earliest.  But on the rare occasion that I do fix breakfast for my family (that doesn’t include a bowl of cereal, yogurt, or an Eggo waffle), I want it to be something I can prepare the night before and throw in the oven in the morning (have I told you I’m not a morning person?).  This French Toast Casserole is the perfect EXTRA SPECIAL breakfast!

You can print the recipe here.  It is adapted slightly from Frugal Upstate.

1.  Melt 1/2 cup of butter and pour it in the bottom of the 9×13 casserole dish.

2.  Lay 6 pieces of white bread on top of the melted butter.

3.  Mix 3/4 cup of brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

4.  Pour half of the brown sugar mixture on top of the first layer of bread.

5.  Add the second layer of six pieces of bread over the top of the brown sugar mixture.

6.  In a separate bowl, mix 5 beaten eggs, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and 1 1/2 cups of milk.

7.  Pour the egg mixture over the casserole.

8.  Top with the remaining brown sugar mixture.

9.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

10.  The next morning, cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and then bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.

We served with a side of fruit:  Yummy!!!

What’s your favorite easy breakfast recipe???

9 Comments
  • Share This Post on Facebook
  • Email this Post
Filed Under: Recipes

Comments

1. AK says

YUM! I’ve been wanting a French Toast Casserole and was planning on making one up, but I’ll just use yours! I cook and serve breakfast every morning (home daycare) and have been needing something different and new to serve.

Looks delicious! I haven’t made this in a LONG time, so thank you for posting the recipe and reminding me! We love overnight breakfast casserole which basically involves mixing together cubes of bread, eggs, chopped ham and shredded cheese, leaving it overnight and then baking in the morning!

3. Carrie Frey says

Jessica, my husband can not do eggs as well so when I have done French toast for him in the past I used almond vanilla milk to replace the mild, add vanilla, and I replace the eggs with ground flaxseed meal. 1 tbls of flaxseed with 3 tbls of water = 1 egg. It turns out great, I hope if you try it goes over well. :) good luck.

4. Kristi says

This looks delicious!!!
    But… have you ever tried baking it with the fruit already inside…?
    Because that’s my new plan for this weekend!

I have to say, I was really excited to make this. So I did. I’ll be honest: I didn’t like it, just because the bread turned out soggy and mushy. However, my husband liked it, and so did my son. I wonder what I could do differently to make it less soggy? Perhaps less butter? Because it was the bottom layer of bread that was like that, but the top layer was perfect. Any ideas?

• says

I would say you might want to bake it longer, maybe 10-15 minutes?

I guess it depends on your taste–I tend to think that traditional french toast is way too dry, so I really like the consistency of this casserole (it is almost like a bread pudding).