It’s soup weather! Hooray! I love soup in the fall. This potato soup and my tortilla soup are tied for my favorite homemade soups. And both are super easy to make!
No peeling or cutting potatoes…just use a bag of these babies (make sure you get the Southern style as they’re cubed not like normal Hash Browns).
And now for the recipe (go here for the printable):
1 bag of Ore Ida Southern Style Hashbrowns
1/2 onion, diced
1 stick of butter
48 oz. chicken broth
1/2 cup flour
3/4 lb. Velveeta cheese
2 cups (1 pint) of half-n-half
1. In a large pot, saute the onions in the stick of butter. I usually like mine cooked pretty well with some brown on the edges.
2. Create a paste using the 1/2 cup of flour and at least 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Mix well.
3. Add the paste to the onions and butter. Stir.
4. Add the remaining chicken broth and then the potatoes (no need to thaw). Stir well.
5. Cube 3/4 lb. Velveeta.
6. Add to the pot and cook over medium heat until all the cheese has melted. Be sure to stir frequently!
7. Add the half-n-half (or heavy whipping cream, if you like). Simmer until the potatoes are nice and mushy. I usually cook mine for around 2 hours. Be sure to stir frequently. Basically every time I make this recipe, I end up burning the bottom of the pan. Prince Charming says it just adds flavor. :)
Add a little shredded cheese, bacon, and green onion garnish and serve. YUM!