Cloud Dough

After reading Little Cloud and making our own clouds yesterday, I remembered an idea for Cloud Dough that I saw on Pinterest a few weeks ago.

‘Cloud Dough’ requires 2 ingredients:  flour and baby oil.  Go here for the recipe.  We only made half because I ran out of flour.  :)

To say this was a hit with my boys would be a complete understatement.  They played in the bowl full of cloud dough for well over half an hour (in the record-breaking heat, mind you)!  And I’m not ashamed to admit that even I enjoyed running my hands through this silky concoction.

"It feels like snow!"

This was definitely the favorite out of any of our sensory activities!  What’s your child’s favorite sensory medium?

Comments

So I read your other post about Eric Carle’s, Little Cloud, and I got it from the library today so we could read it and do your previously listed activity. Now there is another activity to do that correlates with the book-I’m so excited!

Hi there! We chose “cloud dough” as our sensory activity today. We started over an hour ago and well, let’s just say it is the activity that keeps on giving. We added brown play dough to simulate “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs”! I am not sure who is having more fun! :)

• says

What an amazing idea! Big Brother’s absolute favorite book right now is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (in fact, we read it at least twice a day), so he would LOVE that. We might just have to do that too. :)

3. Leah says

We loved this! My 8 year old had just as much fun with it as my 2 year old daughter and her 2 year old friend. Thanks for sharing this.

I just made this. My son played with it for a hour or so. I didn’t have baby oil so I used Biosilk, which has mineral oil in it, just like baby oil. I even colored it. That took some trial and error and the colors were muted because I was mixing a water base food coloring and oil. I think caster oil would work, but that is a much thicker oil. I made a small batch, which is now all over my kitchen floor. Success!=)

5. Michelle Ritchie says

i can’t wait to try this in class! i have a great book written by a friend of mine called Cloud Boy. Its wonderfully simple and touching and a must for a cloud theme!

Baby oil is toxic and can be fatal if ingested. I use cooking oil (better safe than sorry!) doesn’t smell as good but works just the same.