Green Smoothies are all the rage right now. But try as I might, I just don’t like smoothies…no matter what color they are. :) I recently had a whole bunch of extra spinach and three over ripe bananas that needed eaten that day or else it would all need to be tossed. I ran across a recipe for Green Smoothie Muffins (original recipe found here) and decided to give it a shot. They are delicious and sooooo moist! They taste like a banana bread dessert…all while getting a good dose of spinach!
Everyone in our family loved them. The recipe makes around 15-16 muffins and they were gone within a 48 hour time frame. Little Brother ate at least four of them in one day (and that’s saying something because he is currently the pickiest eater in the world).
*Update*: I made these with honey and coconut instead of the sugar and canola oil in an effort to make them even healthier. They turned out great and were just a teensy bit less sweet than the original recipe. Please see the substitutions in green below.
Recipe for Green Smoothie Muffins (printable recipe here)
3 ripe (or overripe) bananas
2 cups of raw baby spinach, packed down as much as possible
1 1/2 cups King Arthur’s White Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cups sugar (or 3/4 cup honey plus 1/4 cup extra flour)
1/4 cup canola oil (or coconut oil)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Makes 15-16 Muffins. Approximately 140 calories per muffin.
1. Add your bananas to your food processor or blender. I have the Ninja and love it.
2. Cut the stems off of the strawberries
3. Grab your spinach…Sam’s Club sells these giant tubs of spinach for cheap!
4. Pack the spinach into your measuring cup as much as possible.
5. Blend together.
The boys loved helping with this step (even with his shirt on backwards). :)
6. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, egg, oil, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
7. Mix together. It should be coarse and crumbly at this point.
8. Add the fruit/veggie puree.
9. Mix together well.
10. Line your muffin tin with cupcake liners (or grease if you don’t have any liners like me) and add the batter until it is about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until your toothpick comes out clean.
Now go make some…you won’t be sorry!